Total Pageviews

Monday, January 5, 2009

The New Racking

As part of the new expansion I've been searching for a new fish rack. Well I finally found a great readily available unit at Costco. It's cross bars are a full 6 feet between the rails and a bit more if you center the tank front to back. They hold 2,000 pounds per shelf and are very easy to set up.

You can't front load a 6 foot tank but you can assemble the rack, disconnect the shelves from one leg allowing you to open the rack just enough to put the tank on the rack. I bought 4 units, two of which hold the new 6 foot by 4 foot tank (with 2x 6 foot tanks under it and storage above) and two units along one wall. 

With 4 shelves per system I have extras so you can connect the two units together forming 3 sections of racking. I put 5/8 plywood and firing strips between the metal grating and the tanks for a solid surface.

The 6x4 tank didn't fit on the two back to back racks as I had hoped
but we came up with a 1.8 inch polycarbonate shim that fit between
the shelves and the uprights that gave an additional 1/4 inch that
was very needed.